Thursday, June 21, 2012

Leaving, on a jet plane

I checked in for my flight this morning - and, ps, Delta with their don't-need-to-print-just-scan-your-phone situation? That's the best thing ever.

Also, Delta? Super great at the customer service. After they originally jacked up my flights (no, Delta, I cannot leave at 10am Saturday, I don't think even Kara Goucher could manage that. Maybe Desi.), they finagled some additional changes that please me, and I ended up with a flight I originally looked at that was $150 more than what I booked. Thanks, Delta!

Anyway. So, I guess I'm running a marathon. In, like, 48 hours.

I have really, really simple goals.

Goal A: Finish, without being dead

Goal B: Don't hate it (or my friends that are running with me)

Goal C: Sub 5, and maybe 11-ish avg pace (puts me at 4:48, but sub-5 is all I'm asking for)


I toyed around extensively with McMillan post PCRF PR and the 5k PR a few weeks ago, and with my Yasso's right before that, and the consensus was 4:35-ish is doable.

But the more I thought about trying to race for 26 miles, the less fun that sounded.

26.2 miles is hella far.

And despite training, you just never know what is going to happen, y'know?

So, yeah, I'm 100% taking the easy road. I've got a strategy, one that involves walking at certain times, and I'm cool with that.

I've got a couple other races in the next 7-8 months, and plenty of time to work on speed and figuring out how my body actually for REAL handles the marathon distance. It would really suck (and probably mess with my tiny brain a bit) if Seattle was awful and I hated it. My plan is specifically designed to make it challenging a little bit, but mostly enjoyable. Hopefully I succeed.

My long runs were all successful. I started this training cycle in March (SOO LONG AGO!). My long runs, in order:
16 @ 11:18 avg pace
18 @ 12:10
20 @ 12:08
20 @ 11:33
16 @ 10:55
18 @ 11:14
22 @ 11:03 <---!!!!!

I put in 440 miles in this cycle. I bonked on that first 18. I jacked up my fueling and bonked HARD on that 22. I ran in the Hot, on that first 20. I ran in the rain, on that first 16. I ran 18 miles after work, unfueled and tired.

My playlist is ready, with 5 hours of every Lemonheads/Evan Dando song recorded. I only kind of wish I made that up. Shannon, that's #real.

So I guess I'm prepared. I'm guessing at LEAST I won't die.

Right?

*******************************************************************************

Friday, I'll be at the Expo around 1:30 and plan on hitting the Tall Mom meetup at 3, and the Brooks/Online Shoes event Friday evening. Hope to meet some internet friends this weekend, and excited to run with some of my favorite people on Saturday!

Alma is taking me to eat delicious things on Sunday, because she is awesome. I mean, she does know Evan Dando, so how could she NOT be.

Cheers to not dying, friends.


20 comments:

  1. You're gonna do awesome and have so much fun! I just know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!!! YOU ARE GOING TO DO AWESOME!!! Kick some ass and take some names!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to do great!!!!! You are beyond ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do great!!!!! You are beyond ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!

    I'm also doing CIM in the fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! You are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootchie Mama!!! You rock. Kick ass and take some names.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck!! And take this from someone who just did my first marathon in Jan - DO HAVE FUN. Try not to hate it, even those last hard miles. Remember you only get to have your 1st - once so take in every momement and detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck!!! Can't wait to meet you. Tressa and I will be at the Expo too on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, she knows Evan Dando???? Why isn't he going to be in Seattle then????? WHY????


    You'll be awesome. I hope you don't pass me while I'm puking on the side of the road. You can pass me all you want - but just not if I'm puking. I don't want to piss you off! ;)

    I'm ready for our reunion!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! You can get your goal. Just always remember when you hit low points that you will come out of them. It's a series of ups and downs. You've got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will rock this! Not dying is an important goal, not to be overshadowed by time goals. Seriously, it's important!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are going to do awesome! You are ready. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck! You've put in the work, now it's just time to relax and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I am so excited for you. You will not die, but you may hit a "wall" or two, like when you feel like you can't run anymore because you started off too fast. Just know you will get through those walls. They don't last very long. Good luck again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Luck!! Just enjoy the moment and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck! You have done such a great job training I am sure you are gonna have a great time...until probably mile 22 but then the great time comes back at the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are going to do great just because you are out there doing it!!! I'll be cheering you on virtually :) Have a great race and try to enjoy each mile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOW DID IT GO???!!! I can't wait to read the race recap!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails